The German Evangelical Lutheran Zion Congregation was formed in 1876 and was served by pastors from Immanuel, Crystal Lake. The first services were conducted in private homes, various other churches, and also in the City Hall. As the number of members grew, their own church was needed. It was built at 3815 W. John Street with dedication on September 6, 1891. In 1899, Zion decided to start a Christian Day School using the church building. The school operated for about ten years. In a meeting on July 12, 1903, it was decided that the congregation would join the body of congregations that became known as The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. It was decided to have all services in the English language in 1927 and in 1938 permission was granted for the ladies to organize a Lutheran Women’s Missionary group and in 1942 the Ladies Aid and the Men’s Club were also formed.
Due to the growth of the community and the congregation, land was purchased in 1955 at 4206 W. Route 120. Ground breaking was held on September 22, 1957 with dedication of the completed church on August 10, 1958. When more space was in need, ground breaking for an addition was on September 12, 1971 with dedication on July 30, 1972.
On Oct. 21, 1971, women of Zion became eligible to become voting members and around this year the Fish Lake Ministry was started. 1988 saw the start of the Tape Ministries for TV and another addition started with the dedication on May 13, 1990 which is the current church building.
In 1983 Zion opened its Preschool and Kindergarten which has now grown to include Pre-Kindergarten, and 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades.
Zion has had three young men join the ministry, Gary Olson, Peter Bender, and Steve Okpisz. Zion also had started a mission church which became Community of Faith Lutheran Church in Spring Grove.
We preach Christ and Him crucified...
Receive, celebrate and share the good news of Jesus Christ.
|Wednesday Evening Worship||7:00 pm|
|Saturday Evening Worship||6:00 pm|
|Sunday Morning Worship||7:45 am
4206 W. Elm Street, McHenry, IL 60050